Simplify your kitchen this summer with 6 great tips for window treatments from HGTV. HGTV suggests utilizing natural light, current colors, and different textures among other ideas to spruce up the kitchen.
- Minimal is In: Try simple shades or an upholstered cornice to get rid of excess fabric. Flap valances are another option.
- Lighten Up: Natural light is a great way to brighten up your kitchen. Sue Pelley, national spokeswoman for Interiors by Decorating Den, suggests pleated shades. Use subtle designs to complete the look.
- Pick Current Colors: Contemporary tones are a must if you choose to use fabric. Pelley recommends a mix of cotton fabric prints in treatments or coordinating a print in the in the window treatment with another print on cushions or placemats.
- It’s All About the Texture: Try adding texture for visual interest. Roman style shades made of natural fibers are a popular trend.
- Soften Direct Light: Sunlight is great, but too much of it can be a problem because of the added heat to the kitchen area. Blinds or shades made of wood are a good option because they filter out light without creating a heavy look.
- Consider Some Curves: Curves add shape to kitchens. Try adding an arched valance over the sink or curved cornice.